We are currently recruiting for a assistant grower for a 3 month contract.
The assistant grower will work with the head grower on all aspects of the growing operation. This includes: raising seedlings, bed preparation, planting out plugs, weed control, harvesting and delivering produce. The assistant grower must be keen to work in a team and independently, develop new skills and learn the various tasks associated with the growing operation. This job would be suitable for someone who loves working outside, thrives in a dynamic, fast paced work environment. It is a physical job and requires working out in the field in all types of weather.
- Desire to work hard and develop skills in organic horticulture
- Ability to work independently and as a group
- A passion for organic growing and building a better food system
- Willingness to learn requirements of commercial horticultural planning, preparation, sowing and harvesting process
- Ability to follow instructions, work efficiently, tidily, consistently and to a high standard with good attention to detail
- Good physical fitness and stamina
- Organisational skills
- Good communication skills and the ability to work effectively both in a small team and alone
- Able to take responsibility and care for own wellbeing
- Willingness to adhere to health and safety procedures on site, including manual handling
- Experience in organic horticulture of some form
- Qualification in horticulture and/or agriculture
2 days per week paid at £63 p/day for a 6 hour day. This works out as just over £10.42 p/hour which is national minimum wage from April 2023. You will be required to be on site for 6.5 and hours each day, but in this time we'll have both a morning break and a lunch break that will equate to half an hour.
The job starts asap and will run for 3 months with the potential to extend. The work days will be Tuesday and Thursday but could potentially change when harvesting. The hours will be 8am - 2.30pm, but may change slightly during harvesting:
Tewin Greens, Hertford Rd, Welwyn, Hertfordshire, AL6 0JB
How to apply
If you would like to apply, please send a CV and a covering letter/email to: email@example.com